Sunday, November 8, 2009

Computer Thrones

I hate to mention the 'R' word but somewhere in the next couple of sentences I'm going to anyway. I don't feel that bad about it as I have a business idea that might help someone out there to climb out of the slough of despondency in which they might find themselves as a result of the Recession (there it is).

Like many of you I spend too much time sitting in front of my computer typing nonsense, just to fill my day. Until recently I did this whilst sitting on my cheap up-and-down swivel office chair that I'd bought in a do-it-yourself hypermarket. That chair is now no longer with us. The first warning sign that something was amiss came when the back-rest fell off. A few weeks later the swivel movement froze, rapidly followed by the up-and-down mechanism jamming. I realised that the chair had completely given up the ghost when the central spindle listed to one side and I found myself on the floor (I'm putting this down to the cheapness of the product rather than any weight issues that I may have).

Desperate times call for desperate measures so rather than rushing out to buy a similar piece of tat I moved one of our carver chairs from the dining table to the computer desk (when I say 'carver' I mean a dining chair with arms).

I fully intended to buy a new, dedicated office chair when I next visited a suitable emporium but now that I've used the carver for a while I find that I like it, quite a lot. True, it doesn't do much in the way of swivelling and it doesn't possess any hydraulic lifting doo-dahs but thinking back to my previous chair I seldom used those functions anyway. My computer desk is narrow so I rarely have to swivel to reach anything and once the chair was set at the required height I never changed it.

The reason I like the carver so much is that it feels like a throne. It's a big, solid, monolithic no-nonsense lump of wood. It has arm-rests for me to rest my arms on. It has a generous padded leather seat that I can swivel and slide about on if the fancy takes me and it has a high back that supports me when I recline to ponder stuff. And because it feels like a throne it does wonders for my self-esteem.

Taking this to its logical conclusion, why settle for something that feels like a throne? Why not use an actual throne? Imagine the sense of self-worth that would envelope you every time you sat down on the throne in the photo.

So, for any budding entrepreneurs out there who are looking for a sure-fire, high-end, multi-million-selling product, why not try marketing the computer throne? I'd do it myself but I'm just too damned comfortable to get off my arse.

See ya,
oldblodger

No comments:

Post a Comment